How to start using WiFi-IoT firmware quickly.
1. Download NodeMCU Flasher from https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-flasher
2. Download 1MiB blank from 0x00000 blank1m.bin
3. Now connect ESP8266 to a PC, the best versions of ESP8266 for beginners are Wemos, Witty Cloud, NodeMCU boards, all boards with USB<->UART IC.
4. Now we need to flash 1MiB blank binary.
5. Open NodeMCU Flasher and select right COM Port.
6. Select our 1 MiB blank file.
7. Select right settings in Advanced tab.
8.Go back to Operation tab and click Flash.
9. After flashing is done we have clean space for our WiFi-IoT firmware. Select features you need, recommended feature is "Initial settings" which makes possible to setup WiFi SSID and Key at first boot and then you don't need to put module into safe mode with connecting RX and TX together for WiFi setup.
10. After compilation done, "download all in one" binary.
11. Go to NodeMCU Flasher and select this downloaded binary in Config tab. Go to Operation tab and click Flash.
12. After flashing is done, restart module with powering it off and on again (Witty, Wemos ...), for other modules it might need to connect in right way for normal boot. After a few seconds module will connect to WiFi and you can find module IP from your router DHCP clients list or from some tool like Fingbox (Android, iOS).
13. Open browser and go to http://[module ip address]/, Default username: esp8266 and default password: 0000